Welcome to Team Meier! I hope all of you have enjoyed your summer and are looking forward to the start of the school year in just a couple weeks! I am so excited to welcome your child to 2nd grade and look forward to meeting all of you soon!
Here are a few quick things to share with you about the start of our school year, plus a few notes about myself to help you get to know me a little better.
- Meet Your Teacher: This event will be held the morning of Monday, August 7, from 9-12:00pm. You may sign up for a time slot online by Tuesday, August 1st. Click here to login. At this event, your child will bring in their school supplies, label them with certain labels I have already created, and place them in the correct locations around the classroom. Beginning of school year prep, done! ;) They will also get a chance to meet and talk with me, and explore their classroom a bit. I am looking forward to seeing everyone there!
- Assessment Dates: School will not be held on Thursday, 8/17 and Friday, 8/18. During these days, teachers will be meeting with each student for one hour to evaluate their reading and math levels. (Make sure to get those 20-30 reading minutes in each day during the rest of the summer. It makes a BIG difference!) You may sign up online by Tuesday, August 1st, here: Online Express Check In Click here to login.
- Parent Info Night: On Wednesday, 8/16, I will be hosting an "Information Night" for my parents in our classroom. There will be two 30 minutes sessions offered, 6:00pm and 6:30pm, which will each be purposefully prepared with useful information about our classroom, routines, homework, grades, volunteer opportunities, behavior expectations, etc. I highly encourage ALL families to send at least one family representative to one of these sessions.
- School Folder: Starting on the first day of school, your child will bring a RED TAKE-HOME FOLDER home with them. Please have a parent/legal guardian SIGN THIS FOLDER EACH NIGHT. This folder will be a precious piece of information for you. It will hold our monthly event calendar, including the week’s specials schedule and library dates, homework, a monthly spelling word list, behavior notes and finished work. Set your minds now for using and signing this folder each night! ;)
- Water Bottles and Snacks - I allow each child to keep a water bottle on their desk each day. Unfortunately, because of ants, we are only allowed to have water and no other liquids. (Nothing flavored; juice, gatorade, flavoring drops, etc.) We also have a morning snack each morning. Please supply your child with a healthy snack they may bring in and eat. Great ideas include crackers, fruit, veggies, yogurt, etc. We do not allow cookies or any sugary treats for a snack, as this makes writing time (that directly follows snack time) very interesting! ;)
*Your child is welcome to bring a 2nd snack in to eat toward the end of the school day, but this is not required.
- About Mrs. Meier: Last but not least, a little about myself and my family! I am a Texas born & raised southern sweetheart that loves early childhood education and has a passion in helping little minds think deeply and achieve big things! I graduated from the great Texas Christian University (Go Horned Frogs!) and I am looking forward to starting my 10th year of teaching. I love to have my students work as a team in our classroom, and will often refer to our group as “Team Meier” throughout the school year. I enjoy spending time with my family, playing the harp (LaurenMHarp.com) and getting outside in this beautiful state of Colorado as much as possible. My husband, Steven, is an orthodontics resident here at the University of Colorado and is about to start his 3rd (and final) year of residency. (It's been a long road!) We have three daughters, Gabi (9 years) and identical twins Grace & Kate (6 years) who currently attend Gold Rush. We are all excited about this upcoming school year!
Please let me know if I can be of any help answering questions you may have about the beginning of the school year, before we see “y’all” at Meet-the-Teacher on Monday, 8/7!
Enjoy the last few weeks of summer,